Wednesday 20 February 2013

Lost Mojo

Thankfully it did not last long and it does not happen very often, but I lost my running mojo.

I was still happy to read, tweet and talk about running, I was still in love with running, but I just couldn't actually motivate myself to run the big miles.

I was getting out every few days for 4 miles here and there, but was not running nowhere near consistently or long as normal.

I was eating more crap and having the odd tipple more than usual. I don't drink huge amounts anyway but I was letting my hair down and eating and drinking more.
 
 
And do you know what, I think that's what I needed to do, relax and take the pressure away from running. I'd had my best year running in 2012 and now it was time to reflect and recharge.

Something that I never do is have some down time and cut back the running. I run the same miles week in week out for 52 weeks of the year.

But its been a long cold winter and the motivation to get up and run on a cold Friday morning to work, had been used up.

To start with it was nice staying in bed to normal o`clock rather than stupid o'clock. It was nice having some lunch breaks not running, but then as easy as I lost my mojo, it came bouncing back. I was missing my running routine.

As Ive said, I'm now fed up of the winter cold runs and am looking forward to feel the sun on a run once again, but the winter is still upon us, but I'm back where I belong.

To help me re motivate myself, I changed a few things.

One of those things was to listen to music on the run. Now I would never put music on when doing a long trail run, there is no substitute for listening to nature's song when you're alone in the middle of nowhere, but for those long runs into work on a dark cold Friday morning it was a great pick me up. I brought myself some new running headphones, the ipod went on shuffle and was kind to me picking out favourites from Jason Mraz, John Mayer and Eric Hutchinson.


The ipod went on shuffle and was kind to me picking out favourites from Jason Mraz, John Mayer and Eric Hutchinson.





I've also been running with different people which has been amazing. I run with @bsmithy100 and @jedirider from Twitter every week, but recently @starterfour10 has joined us which gives another dynamic to the run.

Last Sunday I headed out over the North Downs with new friends from Twitter, @thompson_sj, his friend Marshall and @stuartleewhite

Even Twitter itself is a great motivation tool chatting with like minded people.

Running has become as much as a necessity in my life as eating. Its something I just do and will always do till my legs cant carry me no more. I'm sure along the journey there will be more loss mojo moments as well as inspirational running moments, and it's those moments that I will hold onto to carry me on.

Thank you for listening. Enjoy and appreciate every run good or bad, till next time....Ian

3 comments:

  1. Congrats on re-finding your mojo. I think I'm in a similar slump this week!
    And great to come across your blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jen, hope reading this helps you out your slump.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great post Ian, very honest and I can relate after running every week since 2004. I'm the cofounder of a marketplace for individual service providers and the Fitness area is one of our biggest sections. It would be great to get your insight on our community. Our objective is for this platform to be a big resource by the end of 2013. It will be a help to anyone seeking to improve their fitness and to fitness trainers looking to advance their online presence. http://www.forwardtalent.co.uk/service/sports-fitness--recreation Hope we can be in touch with you in the near future.

    Sincerely,
    Talal

    talal.hakim@forwardtalent.co.uk

    ReplyDelete