Sunday 16 February 2014

Trails of the unexpected

The UK has suffered it's wettest winter on record. Costal towns and villages near rivers that have burst their banks have caused serious damage to properties and chaos up and down the country. Add to this the high winds we've been getting and it's really been a winter to forget.

Although personally I've not been affected by the floods to the extent of others, the local trails have become saturated, lots of surface water and deep mud. So running the trails now takes twice the effort to get through the leg sapping mud and an all round tougher workout.

My 10K night trail race the other week was one of the toughest I've run due to the conditions underfoot.

Well a remarkable thing happened today (Sunday) the forecast for the whole day was.....Sunshine! 

I wasn't going to miss the chance to get out for some decent miles in the sun, so I head out on one of my favourite local runs which takes me up over the Hogs Back and onto the North Downs Way, an area of beautiful rolling hills, woodland, trails and....Mud! Lots of it!

I took a few pictures along the way to show the effects the weather has had on our UK trails.


It wasn't long once I hit the trails for the first surface water to appear.


A stretch of road before hitting the trails again.


Back on the trails....back in the mud!


Thou shall not pass this stretch of path, water as far as the eye could see!


It's all worth it once you get to the top though, stunning views and one of my favourite spots on this run.


Back on the road on the way home and pass my favourite brewery....after the tough hilly trails, what I wouldn't have give for a pint of that!







No comments:

Post a Comment